Reading 200 books per year is easier than it sounds, even if you’re not a speed reader like myself. And you don’t need to devote much more than 70 minutes every day to meet that goal!
Here’s the math, via Quartz:
- The average American reads 200–400 words per minute (Since you’re on Medium, I’m going to assume you read 400 wpm like me)
- Typical non-fiction books have ~50,000 words
Now, all we need are some quick calculations…
- 200 books * 50,000 words/book = 10 million words
- 10 million words/400 wpm = 25,000 minutes
- 25,000 minutes/60 = 417 hours
That’s all there is to it. To read 200 books, simply spend 417 hours a year reading.
What if I told you that you could read significantly more than 200 books per year? Quartz will tell you how.